APD Main Page  
Chief's Message
Vision, Values & Goals
Contact Us
Maps & Directions
Traffic Information
Aviation Unit
News & Updates
Facebook Twitter YouTube Nixle
Volunteer at APD
Clergy and Police
Crime Prevention
Cash For Crooks
Citizens on Patrol
Citizens Police Academy
Community Watch
Explorer Program
National Night Out
Safe Residence Initiative
Terrorism Awareness
Alarm Permits
Amber Plan
Crime Statistics
Financial Crimes/ID Theft
Eye On Traffic
Gang Unit
Internal Affairs
Jail Inmate List
K9 Unit
Most Wanted
911: How It Works
911: Responding to
Open Records Request
Public Reports
Prostitution Arrests
Reports By Phone
School Officers
Sex Offenders
Victim Services
Training Center
Open Classes
Contact Academy
ADA Notice
  Ott Cribbs
Public Safety Center

620 W Division St
P.O. Box 1065
Arlington, TX 76004-1065

Phone: 817-459-5700

arrow Arlington Police Foundation
arrow ID Safety
arrow United Way (Tarrant County 211)
arrow The Parenting Center
arrow Santa Fe Adolescent Services

Internal Affairs

The Arlington Police Department is dedicated to providing the best police service possible to all citizens. Employees are carefully selected and trained to provide service to the community. This web site gives an overview of the ways to commend exemplary performance or file a complaint against a Police Department employee.
Commendation for Arlington Police Employees
Complaints against Arlington Police Employees | Online Citizen Complaint Form
Contact Us


If you see a Police Department employee exhibit outstanding behavior, tell the employee - or us - about it. Following are suggestions for commending an employee.

How to commend a Police Department employee:


Write a letter to the employee's supervisor, Deputy Chief, or the Police Chief at:

Arlington Police Department
P.O. Box 1065
Arlington, TX 76004-1065


Commendation letters are logged and placed in the employee's permanent personnel file.

Call the Police Department at 817-459-5700 and ask to speak with the employee's supervisor.

If you are unsure of the employee's name, describe the employee and list the specific actions or demeanor that impressed you. Mention the location, date and time the incident occurred.

Contact the Arlington Police Internal Affairs Section by sending an e-mail to ia@arlingtontx.gov.

How to make a complaint.

When a citizen has a complaint against a Police Department employee (commissioned or civilian), the complaint is directed to the department's Internal Affairs Office, located at the Ott Cribbs Public Safety Building, 620 W. Division Street in Arlington, 817-459-5611. Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. If the office is closed, you may still file a complaint with any Police Department supervisor, who will then forward your report.

Texas law requires that all complaints against police officers be in writing and signed by the person making the complaint. Complaints must be made within 30 days of the incident unless special circumstances exist. The person who was wronged must file the complaint; other persons may give statements as witnesses.

Internal Affairs investigators will ensure that a thorough investigation of your complaint is conducted. Just as citizens who are arrested must be told the charges against them, a police employee must be given a copy of the complaint before any disciplinary action is taken. When the investigation is completed, you will be notified of the results and action taken.

False complaints.

Filing a false complaint against a police employee is a violation of the Texas Penal Code, Section 37.02. If a person knowingly and intentionally makes a false statement under oath, or swears to the truth of a false statement previously made under oath, a person may be found guilty and punished by a fine up to $4,000, confinement in jail up to one year, or by both fine and imprisonment.

What happens when a complaint is upheld?

When the investigation finds that the charges against a police employee are true, the employee's Assistant Police Chief notifies the employee and may take one of the following actions:
(1) reprimand the employee verbally or in writing;
(2) suspend the employee without pay;
(3) demote the employee; or
(4) discharge the employee.

Employees can appeal the department's decision to uphold a complaint and the decision to discipline the employee.

What happens when a complaint is not upheld?

Complaints must be supported by sufficient evidence. When the investigation cannot find the degree of evidence necessary to prove the employee acted improperly, the employee and the citizen are both notified in writing.

What if you are not satisfied with the outcome?

You may appeal the findings of the internal Affairs or supervisory investigation to:

The Office of the Police Chief (817-459-5702)
Arlington Police Department
620 W. Division Street
Arlington TX 76011

The Office of the City Manager (817-459-6100)
City of Arlington
101 W. Abram Street
Arlington TX 76010

Racial Profiling Complaints

CCP Art. 2.132 Law Enforcement Policy on Racial Profiling requires the department to provide public education on the racial profiling complaint process. For the Arlington Police Department, this process is the same as the department's complaint process, as described on this web site.

The Arlington Police Department is vitally interested in taking action when its employees are derelict in their duties or are guilty of wrongdoing. Your complaint will be given a fair and thorough investigation.



Arlington Police Department
620 W. Division Street
P.O. Box 1065
Arlington TX 76004-1065



Annual statistical summaries of internal investigations are available
 by contacting the department's Internal Affairs Section.




  Copyright © 2012 City of Arlington, TX. All rights reserved. Contact Us | Disclaimer | Supported Browsers